The Lo Down

My photo
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Adam Jackson is a sports journalist at the Kitchener Post and Waterloo Chronicle under the Metroland banner. Jackson is also an award-winning photographer.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Stampede Wrap-up

Well, that was an experience.

Bareback rider Monty Koopman holds on and spurs a bucking horse during competition on June 30. (Notice how the spur is INSIDE of the horse)


Canada's largest seven-day pro rodeo has ended.

When I came here from Ontario, I had no idea how rodeo worked let alone the names of the competitions or the names of the rodeo superstars. In weeks leading up to the Ponoka Stampede, I filled my brain with every single piece of information I could learn.

I must say, I felt like a complete foreigner, especially with the fact that we had to wear a cowboy hat and dress Western while shooting and covering rodeo events. Wearing a cowboy hat while driving a 1998 VW Jetta with Ontario plates...definitely turned a few heads with that.

Overall, I would say it was a great experience. Put in a lot of long, hard days, but also had a lot of fun (and made some really cool photos).

Now it's back to the norm of Ponoka and Central Alberta, covering things that people care about.

Adam

Twitter